All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Special Pure Oats, Homemade Granola


I have been completely Gluten free for over a year now. It was simpler to avoid oats altogether up until now. There has been a great deal of research done that shows that (pure uncontaminated) oats do not cause problems for (most) people with celiac disease. For myself, my gluten intolerance can cause a major 3 day migraine (did I mention I have not had one in OVER a year and 2 months?!) Oats are a true health food.

Well so anyhow, I decided to try some oats. I started by purchasing some Pure Oats that are free of any cross-contamination with wheat, barley, rye, tricale, kamut, or spelt during growing, harvesting, transport, storage, mill processing and packaging. Yes, they cost more than bulk oats. I made myself a little hot oatmeal for breakfast. Twice. and then I waited for 72 hours after each consumption. No Migraine! woo hoo! also no apparent digestive problems related to my IBS either. awesome news.

And So I give you the most delicious granola ever. I can say that because it has been sooooo long since I had granola! But honestly it is great. Kencent makes a version for himself with wheat germ and stuff I can't have, but I think my version is extra delicious. Keep it in a well sealed container and it will last for weeks.


Ingredients:

5 cups Pure uncontaminated rolled oats
1 cup raw organic almonds
1 cup raw organic walnuts broken into smaller pieces
1 cup raw organic sesame seeds
2 cups organic shredded coconut
1 cup raw organic sunflower seeds
1 cup organic virgin coconut oil
1 cup organic honey
1/2 cup organic raisins
1/2 cup organic dried cranberries
1/2 cup organic dried wild blueberries
1/2 cup organic dried cherries
salt, to taste

(try to purchase all of these items organic and hopefully you can get them sulphate free)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F

2. In a very large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and coconut.

3. Melt the coconut oil and the honey together in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir them together as best as you can (they don't mix well), and pour over the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring constantly until everything is mixed well. Add a little salt (tsp. or 2) and stir in.

4. Pour half of the oat mixture onto a cookie sheet (or pour it into 2 cookie sheets if your oven is large enough. mine is not.) Spread it out evenly and bake it for about 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven. The mixture should be nicely toasted light brown. add 1/2 of the dried fruit, stir to incorporate and set this aside for 10 minutes to cool. Repeat with a second cookie sheet full.

5. Once both of the cookie sheets have cooled for about 10 minutes give them a stir to break up clumps. Wait until the granola is room temperature before storing in airtight containers. Remember to mark the gluten free version! especially if there are folks in the home who insist on making non GF versions. teehee.

it's good. really good. You only need a little to feel full and the granola will energize your day.

2 comments:

  1. This is very similar to the granola that I make (I have a wheat allergy), but I add some cinnamon to give it a bit of zip. It's nice to have the extra bit of warmth, especially on cooler mornings. I eat it with almond milk and a bit of fruit. Yum...

    PS I really enjoy your recipe ideas and appreciate having the inspiration to try new things. I have wheat and dairy allergies, and have had years of digestive problems, so try to keep my diet fairly simple. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! simple doesn't have to be boring :)

    ReplyDelete