All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Monday, October 19, 2009

African Plantain Curry


I like to try new things. I saw this recipe and wanted to try it right away as I have not really eaten much plantain in my life. I have had some African cuisine but I have never attempted to make it. This recipe comes from my favorite new book, Curry Cuisine
Anyhow, it was easy to make and I'm quite certain I liked it. It's a totally new taste for me but yes, I liked it and I would make it again.

Ingredients:

4 plantains
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 Tbsp curry leaves
1 onion, finely chopped
1 3/4 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
2-4 green chilies, seeded and chopped
pinch of ground tumeric
fresh cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
lemon juice, to sharpen

Directions:

1. Put the unpeeled plantains in a steamer basket set over a pan of simmering water. Steam for 10 minutes. They should still be quite firm to the touch.

2. While the plantains are cooking, make the masala. Heat the oil in a wok or pan and toss in the mustard seeds, followed by the cumin seeds and curry leaves. As soon as the seeds begin to pop, add the onion, ginger & green chilies. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes (until the onion is softened)

3. When the plantains are cool enough to handle, strip off the peel with a sharp knife and grate them lengthwise into thick coarse shreds.

4. Add the turmeric to the masala while still on the heat, stir to combine. Add the grated plantains and fry for another 5-7 minutes. You want to make sure the plantain still has texture and bite. If it is sticking, add a little water.

5. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and add a squeeze of lemon. Serve with rice. Good with pickled relishes, spiced chilies etc.

1 comment:

  1. i love plantains and if i ever see them in the market, i'll definitely have to make this curry -- yum!

    we just moved from los angeles to vermont and i've found that slivers of acorn squash roasted with a little olive oil and a pinch of sea salt almost, kind of, sort of taste like plantains. and when i throw them on a bowl of black beans i can pretend i'm eating carribean food!

    ReplyDelete