All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Monday, February 8, 2010

a healthy Chocolate Cake


My mother in law has been making me this cake for my birthday for a couple of years now. I adore it. I have adjusted the recipe to be less sweet because as I get older, the less sweet I seem to want my treats. Besides, I know you. You will serve this with say, coconut ice cream. Or you will make a ganache and pour it over the cake. Or some raspberry sauce.

Garbanzo beans are really high in protein. Go lift some weights now.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups organic gluten free dark chocolate chips (I like DAGOBA 73% chocolate drops)
1 (19 ounce) can organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
4 eggs
1/2 cup sucanat (you can use white sugar if you insist but I like the deeper taste of sucanat)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp cocao nibs- raw chocolate (I simply crushed up some cacao beans and removed the skins)
Dark chocolate for curling and garnish
a bit of gluten free all purpose flour and some butter for greasing the pan

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 inch spring form pan.

2. Melt your chocolate chips in a double boiler until smooth (Or you can melt them in a microwave on medium heat for a couple of minutes stirring, frequently).

3. Place the rinsed beans in a blender and blend until all the beans are broken up, add the eggs and blend until smooth. Add the sucanat and the baking powder and blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender to be sure all the chocolate is combined.

4. Pour into your spring form pan and bake for 40 minutes (until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean). Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove spring form sides and transfer cake to serving platter. Sprinkle with Cacao (raw chocolate) nibs and toss some chocolate curls on top just before serving.


5. Serve with almond milk and coconut milk ice cream to your sweet honey bunny on Valentines day.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reminded so much of the 101 Cookbooks recipe for black bean brownies, which I've wanted to make since I read about it, although this sounds healthier. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this cake has an excellent cake texture FYI. it's impossible to tell that there was no actual flour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm this sounds really good.
    i should send you my friends recipe for brownies...super good and no gluten/dairy/refined sugars

    ReplyDelete