All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Maple Walnut & Breakfast Sausage Roasted Acorn Squash


I made my fellah breakfast. Normally I roast my acorn squash and eat it plain, but since it is Valentines day, I made it extra special for him.

Ingredients:

Acorn Squash, sliced in half, seeds removed
walnuts
maple syrup
lean gluten free breakfast sausage
butter
salt, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place your acorn squash upside down in a shallow baking dish with 1/4 inch water. Bake for about 30 minutes (until tender). Remove squash and baking dish from oven, move rack up and turn on your broiler.

2. Add some salt to your squash halves. Combine some melted butter and maple syrup and spoon it over your baked acorn squash halves. Add some broken raw walnut pieces into the centers. Return your squash to the oven (flesh side up this time) and broil until lightly browned, basting a couple of times with your syrup/butter mixture.

3. While your squash is baking, cook your breakfast sausage in a skillet on med. high, turning frequently. (Our sausage is lean grass fed beef, directly from the family ranch.) When your sausage is nicely browned, remove from heat and slice into small pieces.

4. Add your sausage bits into the center of your baked and broiled maple squash. Serve as is, and while your at it make him a nice poached egg and some toast if he asks for it (he did)

6 comments:

  1. never would have thought of squash for breakfast. looks tasty. love your new profile picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often eat squash for breakfast now. of course, not so often with sausage and butter and stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, one should not read your blog on an empty stomach! this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been loving your recipes! mm mm mm!
    One question for this recipe-will butternut squash work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, I think it would be a good breakfast, but you can't really cook it the same way I don't think. Ok answer is- I dunno! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotcha, thanks!
    To be honest, I've never had squash ever before. Sounds insane I know!
    I've never had a taste in my memory to be able to gauge if it'd be good or not. Anyway...
    I ended up making a buternut squash soup and am thrilled to make this with ACORN squash in the mornin'!
    Thanks a buncha!

    ReplyDelete