All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Miso Turkey Burgers with Southern Cornbread


Soft, fresh bread and a delicious savory burger. !!!!!
Oh gluten free friends, you are gonna love this.

Cornbread-

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp melted butter and 1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup stone ground organic gluten free cornmeal
2 tsp. sucanat
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup boiling water
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions:

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position & heat the oven to 450°F. Set an eleven and a half inch cast iron skillet (with the melted butter and oil inside) in the oven as it heats.

2. Measure 1/3 cup cornmeal into a med. size bowl. Set aside.

3. In another smaller bowl, mix the remaining cornmeal, sucanat, salt, baking powder & baking soda together. Set aside.

4. When you are sure your oven is up to temperature- Pour the boiling water (must be boiling!) quickly into the 1/3 cup cornmeal med. size bowl. Stir to make a thick mush. It should stir up to resemble a soft polenta. Whisk in the buttermilk gradually, breaking up any lumps, then whisk in the egg. Stir the dry ingredients into the mixture until "just" moistened. Remove your skillet from the oven and carefully pour the melted butter/oil mixture into the the batter, stir to incorporate and quickly pour the entire batter into the heated skillet. Put that back in the oven for 15 minutes (until golden brown). Remove from oven and turn onto wire rack to cool immediately. let cool for 5 minutes and then cut into "bread" slices for your burgers.


Miso Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:

400g ground turkey thigh
1 tsp. soybean (gluten free) miso thinned with 1 tsp. water
salt & pepper to taste


Directions:

1. Mix your miso mixture with the ground turkey, add salt and pepper for flavor (about 1/2 tsp each). Form into about 4 medium sized burgers.

2. Preheat a stainless steel skillet (or cast iron skillet) on med. hot, swirl in some vegetable oil and add your burgers. Brown well for about 5 minutes on each side. Turn temp. down a bit and continue cooking until the inner temperature of the burgers reads 165°F.

3. Serve on slices of fresh cornbread with lettuce, onions, ketchup, tomatoes and anything else you like on a burger.

4 comments:

  1. that looks awesome! adding to my dinner & shopping lists for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do eeet! I know I plan on making these burgers anytime I get the craving again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I have been looking at your decor photos forever, but I just realized you have this awesome blog! After finding this blog yesterday, I am super inspired to do this!!! I always thought to eat healthy I would have to give up the things I love (pancakes, fajitas, turkey burgers), but I am so excited that I can just use gluten-free ingredients and still eat yummy food! Do you have to go to a speciality store to buy these products? Also, can I get your cookbook in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can buy my cookbook anywhere in the world through blurb. :)
    I tend to shop at my local health food store for gluten free products but it really is so on trend that it's easy to find stuff now at your local grocery

    ReplyDelete