All Images © 2010 Lori Andrews

Do not use these images without my written permission

Monday, June 28, 2010

grilled plantain





















After experimenting with plantain only once before I decided to try again.  And this was delicious! 
Wait until your plantain is ripe.  A ripe plantain is anywhere from yellow with some black spots to mostly black.  I allowed this one to ripen to about 1/2 black.  It can easily take weeks for a plantain to ripen on your counter top, so be patient.  Green plantains are used in savory dinner dishes.

Ingredients:
1 or 2 ripe plantains
canola oil for brushing and grilling
salt, to taste

Directions:

1. Peel your plantain and slice diagonally into 1/2 slices (or smaller if you want them more crisp)

2. Brush canola oil on both sides of your plantain slices and grill on a hot clean grill for about 3 minutes per side.  You want an even yellow color throughout with some nice grill marks. 

3. Season with a pinch of salt and serve. 

Super with brown basmati rice and a poached egg! 

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious too. I made Jamaican beef patties earlier in the week and wished I had plantains to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it took weeks for my plantain to ripen. I will buy some more and keep them on hand. this would be fine at anytime of day!

    ReplyDelete